Personal tools

You are here: Home / About US / History

Library History


In Wilton’s early days, there was only a reading room to use.  People were interested in having a library in town for everyone to use.  Information and pledges of money were gathered and plans were made.


In 1935, when plans were in full swing, the City Council offered the library free use of the old council room and two adjoining rooms, with heat, lights, and furniture.  This was in the old city hall building that sat on the same corner of town, on the second floor above the fire station.  The Library opened on January 5, 1935.


The library was open three days a week—two hours a day.  Each time the library was open the librarian, Mrs. Kelley, had to put out all books.  At the end of the day, she had to put everything away and tidy the room.  This was because the room had to be ready to be used by the City Council. 


Membership cost adults $1.00 per year, but an adult membership entitled all children under 16 in the family the ability to check out books. 


Clubs, organizations, and individuals donated many of the books for the first library.  From the beginning, the words “Wilton Library” were stamped on page 35 to note the year this library began.

This resource is supported by the Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act as administered by State Library of Iowa.